The Encounters South African International Documentary Festival is seeking applications for the position of Film Programmer.
This individual will work alongside the Festival Director and will be responsible for charting the Festival’s artistic vision, including curating the main film programme and developing and implementing its film-related events (year round & Festival). The suitable candidate will have an extensive knowledge of documentary cinema and the local and international industry landscape.
- A tertiary qualification in film, media studies or related field;
- At least five years’ experience in the film industry or client relations environment;
- Proven strategic thinking and relationship-building skills;
- Good Communication (written and oral skills);
- Ability to plan and attention to detail;
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Oversee the organisation and selection of films for the Encounters Festival programme.
- Oversee the programming and implementation of Encounters year-round projects.
- Oversee delivery of programme (print and net), including writing content and supervising providers – art, text, stills, layout.
- Assist with Fundraising & Report writing.
- Establish and maintain relationships with key film community professionals.
Candidates must submit the following:
- 2 page CV with 3 contactable references
- 1 page letter of motivation
Applications are to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 24 November 2016.
Compensation commensurate with experience. The successful candidate must be based in Cape Town.
The Backsberg Encounters Audience Awards
Bertha Foundation-Encounters-Guardian Development Prize
Over 10,000 people flocked to Encounters this year, enjoying the offerings of film screenings, a Virtual Reality and Interactive documentary exhibition, Master Classes, Industry presentations, pitching sessions and live events. Read More…
Encounters film festival in partnership with British Council Connect ZA presents Darkstar (UK)
Darkstar (Aiden Whalley & James Young) will be coming to the shores of Cape Town and the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg in June 2016. The duo has made great contributions to the UK’s electronic scene. The tour will take place from the 5th to the 12th of June. Read More…
As the new Festival Director it is my great pleasure to welcome you to the 18th edition of the Encounters South African International Documentary Festival.
I’ll always remember my first ‘Encounter,’ a decade ago – a packed theatre with a rapt audience, participating in every shot, scene and sequence of the extraordinary documentary being screened. For me, the energy of people coming together to share, discuss and enjoy documentary cinema is the very essence of Encounters. This year’s programme flows from this and I invite you to experience what is on offer in the three key areas of the Festival. Read More…
AL JAZEERA-ENCOUNTERS PITCHING FORUM CALL at the 18th Encounters South African International Documentary Festival
The Encounters South African International Documentary Festival, in partnership with Al Jazeera, is calling African filmmakers to submit proposals for the Al Jazeera-Encounters Pitching Forum taking place in Johannesburg during the 18th Encounters South African International Documentary Festival on Saturday, 11 June 2016. Read More…
The Encounters South African International Documentary Festival, in collaboration with Bertha Foundation and The Guardian, is pleased to announce a new opportunity for African documentary filmmakers in Brief Encounters: An Online Short Documentary Pitching Forum & Development Prize.
The Encounters South African International Documentary Festival announces appointment of new Director.
On behalf of the Board — Adv. Dumisa Ntsebeza, Mandisa Zitha, Dr. Susan Levine, Dr. Ciraj Rassool, Nodi Murphy and Steven Markovitz — Encounters is pleased to announce the appointment of Darryl Els as the Director of the Documentary Festival. Read More…