With the support of the Presidential Employment Stimulus Programme (PESP), Encounters launches a new 3-month paid internship opportunity in Festival Training and Skills Development to support students seeking careers in Festival Management and Film Curation. The Programme will run in tandem with our production of the 23rd Encounters Festival (10 – 20 June 2021), giving interns invaluable practical experience. On-going mentorship will be provided by Festival Director, Mandisa Zitha, and other experienced staff members. Regular Masterclasses and Workshops will be facilitated by leading industry practitioners in Film Programming, Event Management, Marketing, PR, Sales and Distribution. An emphasis will be placed on curating African cinema, digital platforms, audience development, industry event planning and outreach.
We are seeking 6 highly motivated South African applicants available remotely, part-time, for the duration of the programme commencing Thursday 1 April – Thursday 24 June 2021. If you are based in Cape Town, we will run select events in person and some office work will also be required. Applicants must have access to a computer/laptop.
We invite applications from students with a BA qualification, preferably in film or humanities. However, applicants without a degree but with professional experience may also be considered for admission. Click on the link to apply.
- Computer literate (e.g., MS Word, Excel & Google Docs)
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Excellent organisational and computer skills
- Ability to research on the internet
- Own computer/laptop
We invite applications from students with a BA qualification, preferably in film or humanities. However, applicants without a degree but with professional experience may also be considered for admission.
- 1 Minute Introduction Video (max. 10mb, only mp4. or mov. files accepted)
- Letter of Interest (250 words max.)
- Biography (250 words max.)
- 1 Latest Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 1 Recently Certified Copy of Highest Qualification (no older than 6 months)
- 1 Recently Certified Copy of ID (no older than 6 months)
- High-Resolution Headshot (to be used in publicity related content)
- Social Media Handles (to be used in publicity related content)
If you do not receive a response by Monday 26 March 2021, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
Deadline: Monday 22 March 2021 (23h59 SAST).
In doing on-the-job training and utilising digital tools to run a festival, interns will be challenged to think innovatively about achieving the aims and objectives of the Encounters 23rd edition. This training will extend beyond the Festival to ensure we align with a future vision of learning and growing South Africa’s cultural output. We encourage students to develop new perspectives of documentary filmmaking, curation, exhibition and shifting viewing trends. Students will gain an understanding of the drivers that move the festival world forward, while nurturing their passion for cinema and audiences.